Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Red House by Sonya Clark

Title: Red House
Author: Sonya Clark
Publisher: Lyrical Press, 2012

This is not a review per se, more like a bit of long-overdue praise for Sonya, who’s one of the authors I worked with when I was still editing for Lyrical Press. So yes, I unashamedly give this book five stars because that’s how much I adore her writing, and I’ll stand by my rating. I give praise where it’s due.

Red House is book two in Sonya’s Mojo Series, which starts with the aptly named Mojo Queen (so if you’re looking to get started, pick up that one first, you won’t regret it).

Once again, in Red House, Sonya blends all the elements I love: Southern Gothic, music, magic and mysteries, all laced with memorable characters (like Daniel, the country music loving vampire ancestor) and fantastic dialogue.

Roxie does root work. This means she does everything from making mojo hands through to house cleansings. But things haven’t gone well for her since she lost her house in the flood, and in way she’s lost her mojo almost literally. And it doesn’t help that the first job she takes on to get her groove back is possibly even more challenging than the one she was faced with in book one.

All actions have consequences, especially the magical ones, and it’s how characters deal with these situations that gives me a quiet thrill. So that’s all I’ll say about the plot, and suggest that if you’re looking for urban fantasy with authentic-feeling characters who face real-life issues along with supernatural ones, then go read this book. If you’re a long-term fan of the Supernatural TV series or Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse novels, then Sonya Clark’s tales will hit the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment